The European information you need to learn. Welcome to The Capitals by EURACTIV.
As we speak’s version is powered by Amazon Internet Companies
Digital Sovereignty at AWS: Management with out compromise
We’re dedicated to serving to our prospects meet digital sovereignty necessities and providing all AWS prospects probably the most superior set of sovereignty controls and options out there within the cloud.
In right now’s information from the Capitals:
France will ban the promoting of single-use e-cigarettes by 2025, French Well being Minister Aurélien Rousseau introduced on Tuesday throughout a Nationwide Tobacco Management Program (PNLT) presentation, whereas rising tobacco taxation. Learn extra.
Nursery scarcity: Research warns of German childcare ‘emergency’. Pressing motion to handle the nation’s childcare ‘emergency’ is being known as for as Germany is greater than 400,000 nursery spots wanting assembly demand, in accordance with a brand new examine revealed on Tuesday. Learn extra.
Sunak faces British public opinion backlash over Athens marbles row. British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s resolution to cancel a last-minute assembly together with his Greek counterpart Kyriakos Mitsotakis over the latter’s feedback on Parthenon marbles at present within the British Museum has harm his public picture, in accordance with a survey launched on Tuesday. Learn extra.
Spain denies Subsequent Technology funds are at risk from amnesty legislation. The concept the Partido Fashionable (PP) and its EU household social gathering (European Individuals’s Get together – EPP) have floated on Monday in regards to the alleged hazard that the Subsequent Technology funds may face if the deliberate amnesty legislation lastly goes forward in parliament isn’t true, the Spanish authorities stated on Tuesday. Learn extra.
No settlement on price range between Meloni authorities, commerce unions. No settlement was reached between the Italian authorities and the primary commerce unions – CGIL, CISL, UIL and UGL – relating to the 2024 on the Palazzo Chigi on Tuesday, which suggests the final strike of 15 December will go forward. Learn extra.
Portugal’s hydrogen venture will get EU inexperienced gentle. Portugal’s hydrogen venture in Sines was chosen as one of many cross-border power initiatives eligible to use for EU monetary help as a result of they’re according to the Inexperienced Deal, in accordance with an inventory revealed by the EU Fee on Tuesday. Learn extra.
Poland denies stopping humanitarian deliveries to Ukraine. Polish truckers protesting on the Ukrainian border usually are not blocking the supply of humanitarian help, in accordance with the nationwide tax authority, which dispelled the accusations from main Ukrainian politicians. Learn extra.
Central European international locations kind working teams to deal with migration. Inside ministers from Germany, Austria, Czechia, Poland, Slovakia and Hungary have agreed to create a joint working group to deal with unlawful immigration to the area throughout a gathering in Hungary on Monday. Learn extra.
Slovakia should compensate youngster denied training throughout COVID. Slovakia should pay €3,000 to a woman who couldn’t take part in distance studying as a result of inadequate entry to the web, in accordance with a court docket ruling in Prešov on Tuesday in what the pupil’s legal professionals declare is Europe’s first digital divide verdict. Learn extra.
Younger Slovaks wrestle with psychological healthcare after Ukraine battle, pandemic. Worsening psychological well being circumstances and rising suicide try charges in younger individuals mixed with inaccessibility, lack of psychiatric beds, and unmet well timed care are weighing on Slovak youth. Learn extra.
NEWS FROM THE BALKANS
Bulgarian Socialist Get together to kind broad coalition with pro-Russian, nationalist events. In an effort to extend its political affect within the EU’s poorest nation, the Bulgarian Socialist Get together (BSP), which is a part of the EU Socialists (PES), introduced this week an official transfer to kind a broad coalition with pro-Russian and nationalist events. Learn extra.
Bulgaria plans full digitalisation of prescriptions by finish 2024. Bulgaria plans to digitise prescriptions for all medicines by the tip of 2024, the Well being Ministry introduced after the preliminary success of e-prescriptions, which managed to cut back using antibiotics by practically 30% in a brief interval. Learn extra.
Romania’s Schengen accession is not going to be voted on at JHA’s December assembly. Romania’s Schengen accession is not going to be topic to a vote through the Justice and Residence Affairs Council’s (JHA) assembly on 5 December, in accordance with political sources cited by Information.ro. Learn extra.
- EU: Fee President Ursula von der Leyen chairs Faculty of Commissioners; Hosts Prime Minister of Luxembourg Luc Frieden;
- Fee Vice President Vĕra Jourová hosts Normal Secretary of the European Delight Enterprise Community Czeslaw Walek;
- Vice President Margaritis Schinas participates in roundtable with Australian Director Normal of the Workplace of Nationwide Intelligence to alternate about hybrid threats, info manipulation, cyber and counter terrorism Nina Davidson, in Canberra; Meets with Australian Speaker of the Parliament Milton Dick, President of the Senate Sue Strains;
- Neighbourhood and Enlargement Commissioner Olivér Várhelyi holds assembly with Minister of European Affairs of Montenegro Maida Gorčević;
- Well being Commissioner Stella Kyriakides delivers keynote speech at “Constructing political momentum: In direction of Ending HIV in Europe” occasion, organised by HIV Outcomes, held within the European Parliament; Speaks at “Coming into the pharma analysis area, the place hope radiates” occasion at Belgian Nuclear Analysis Centre SCK CEN;
- Cohesion and Reforms Commissioner Elisa Ferreira addresses Committee of the Areas plenary debate on the Way forward for Cohesion Coverage;
- Agriculture Commissioner Janusz Wojciechowski hosts Govt Director of the EU Mental Property Workplace João Negrão;
- Innovation, Analysis, Tradition, Training and Youth Commissioner Iliana Ivanova delivers keynote speech at “Tutorial Freedom – The state of a basic worth for Europe” convention by European Parliament’s Science and Know-how Choices Evaluation;
- Parliament President Roberta Metsola delivers speech at excessive stage convention on the seventy fifth Anniversary of the Common Declaration of Human Rights, organised by Committee on International Affairs (AFET), Subcommittee on Human Rights (DROI);
- UN: Safety Council meets on Israel-Palestinian battle;
[Edited by Sarantis Michalopoulos, Daniel Eck, Alice Taylor, Sofia Stuart Leeson, Sofia Mandilara]
Learn extra with EURACTIV